Second generation biofuels, biomass exploitation, fibre modification, yeast screening & propagation
The Biorefinery Centre offers tailored solutions to convert your waste biomass into added value products. We start by assessing your needs and the potential of your material and then take a bespoke approach from laboratory scale through to small pilot. We are here to help if you need the entire process or you need to optimise just a small part of an existing scheme.
We have expertise at all stages of the process from size reduction and physical separation through pre-treatment options, such as steam explosion, enzyme and chemical treatments, fermentation and product concentration (distillation). We carry out chemical analysis (HPLC, GC, GCMS, NMR, FT-IR) and microscopy (light or electron microscopy) as appropriate.
We will help you to show your green credentials through life cycle assessment encompassing not just the carbon footprint but also other environmental impacts such as acidification and eutrophication.
- New project to develop biofuels from paper waste
- Step change for screening could boost biofuels
- Further PhD success
- Total Food 2014 conference
- New opportunities for PhD studentships
- Life Sciences Minister tours Biorefinery Centre
- PhD success
- Green and yellow – straw from oilseed as a new source of biofuels